22 June 2012

SFFS: Another Snippet From "Supply and Demand"

Welcome to another installment of Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday on the blog. Thanks for all the feedback you give on my snippets, but be sure to go visit all of the other writers through the SFFS link above as well.

I think this might actually be a first for me, in that today's snippet picks up right where my last one left off. So, without further adieu, I bring you the continuation of "Supply and Demand" (with all the usual warnings about first draft material...and if you'd like to refresh your memory on what the first snippet contained,check it out here)

I called out, “Evasive maneuvers!”

Jeanie banked the ship and jetted off, giving me more information that I didn’t know what to do with. “The blast struck one of the asteroids in the belt.”

I tried to figure out why anyone would be firing at me, and couldn’t come up with anything. Not that there weren’t a myriad of people out there who’d just as soon see me dead, but why they’d have picked now to carry out the deed, I didn’t have a clue.

Jeanie was full of great news. “Several new contacts have appeared on scanners.”

I turned to my left and looked at the cloud of tiny dots spread out like a consuming cloud of fire from the mining station. Another curse came forth along with my words, “What are they, rockets?”

Poor Aston just never can catch a break...his poor luck having me for his creator. Again, I always enjoy your comments!

16 comments:

  1. Just serialize it as you go! But give us longer scenes, it'll take years to get through a novel 10 sentences a week, lol. Good job. My snippet is up, but I missed the cut off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but the point of the snippets (at least when I put them off for my published works) is to entice readers to buy the full copy. I don't think I'd want to even attempt showing an entire novel (or story) 10 at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. Sue Ann Bowling is doing pretty well with JARN'S JOURNAL. Might be worth considering to write a new story strictly to be serialized. I'm playing around with the idea myself.

    In any case, good snippet. Now, I'm curious about those new contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evil man, Lyn Perry! :-P

    Patrick, I do think there's something to be said about writing a new one strictly for serialization as part of the SFFS weekly. Trouble is, all the entires I've had so far were meant for other forms of publication, so picking every ten sentences can make for some rather dull weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snippet as usual. Hehe, I'll be Lyn's little devil's advocate and repeat: "tweet it!" What an interesting idea though... Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serializing could be fun. I've been considering it myself. Great minds think alike and all that rot.

    One thing jumped out at me, first draft and all that, you don't need to follow "myriad" with "of" just use "myriad" by itself. Sorry, it's my one major pet peeve and I've stroked its ruffled fur back down. Otherwise, great snippet as always. You know how much I love Aston!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fireworks. Just think of them as fireworks, Aston. Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Aston ever not in trouble?
    By the way, Jarn's Journal is remote background for my sf novels. It seems to have taken on a life of its own, but I never intended it for publication (except on my author website, where I'm fighting the formatting, and possibly interleaved into a story I might write someday about the first Kharfun epidemic.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Aston was ever not in trouble, it would make for very dull reading... :-D

    Fireworks...like the big exploding kind that then send big groups of additional exploding shells out all around. That would be about right for Aston. :-)

    My guess is that I'll probably drop myriad in the final draft. But it sounded good at the time...and I have the same pet peeves. Usually at work, because engineers (in general) don't know anything about spelling and grammar.

    The story, a-tweet-at-a-time, has been done before. I've also seen the "whole story in a tweet" variety (one that hasn't done much in years, if anything, is @TweettheMeat).

    I never like to say never, but it's highly unlikely I'll go down that route myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's time to run. Or fly away as fast as they can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, but then he wouldn't get paid (assuming he makes it out alive). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, I bet he'll regret asking that question.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He always does. :-D

    Thanks to everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeopardy-friendly Aston, trouble magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and female-repulsor, just not in this snippet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, and do my best to answer everyone who stops by...